Road to 35: Treasures Unfold

As the number of our years increased, number of people in our lives decreases...

I remember celebrating my birthday, full house... from friends, colleagues, high school and college classmates, friends of friends and friends of friends of friends. 

Those were the days when strangers come over not to celebrate but to drink with other friends. When you just walk with bottle beer, checking on each group of people if they were enjoying... Party normally ends the following day. 

As I think of it... yes, indeed those were the happy days.
And as I try to recall one or two of my "happy birthday celebration" and try remember the different faces who were there; it seems that most of them were just part of my past. Very few are still on my present...

People come and go. That is something that I learned from my mentor while I was still in broadcasting network. 

But through the years, I learned that: 

You can choose the people who will stay in your life and those that you will let go... 

Being friends is not about being together everyday; even if you talk to a certain people daily, it doesn't mean that you are friends... and not talking or chatting everyday doesn't means you were no longer friends. 

No time nor distance can separate real friends. 

Should you choose to stay to someone's life or vice versa... you will work on it. 

   Communication is the key foundation to any relationship. It doesn't mean everyday. It might take years... But if you want a person to stay in your life; definitely, you will make an effort to reach out and keep in touch.

   Being in the transition of gen x, I also lost contacts to some friends from elementary & high school, but I remember sending snail mails to some of them...

   Our generations were lucky to enjoy technology... our lists of friends in FB are 100s and 1000s. They are tagged as Friends though not all were... but we are able to keep in touch and check our (real) friends once in a while. 

There are also those that you will let go or will let you go... 

   Yes, there are people that are no longer healthy to be with... we know and can easily identify them, They maybe those who were there on the sunny days but disappear when sky turns gray. Those who remember you when they need you and ignore you after help was rendered. They are those who stabbed you at your back or those who judged you after you committed a  mistake... 

   I was unfriend-ed and I know there are few people who blocked me on FB. I did the same to very few people also. 

   Even if we want to, even if we avoid to burn bridges, there are people whom you cannot remain friends with. When love is no longer enough, it will be best to let go rather than to hurt each other... It is best to be distant with respect for the other person and for yourself, rather than to insist on friendship that was never meant to be.

In UAE, we consider ourselves as transients... in 2 to 5 years the people whom we consider as family might move to other country or I might be on the other side of the planet in the years to come.

Nothing is certain. 

Tomorrow, a stranger might walk in front of you who can be a part of your future... your friend who has been with you for decades might leave you hanging with broken promises...


This year, as I turned 35. I celebrate life by counting my blessings - the people that surrounds me, not just physically but in the entire years of my existence. I feel God's love as I remember them one by one. My childhood friends, teenage buddies, college companions, my former colleagues, my berks, friends of friends who became close to me, my church family, my relatives and immediate family who made, maybe half  of my life really wonderful. 

Those who chose to let me go, I also remember them and cherish the beautiful moments that we had. I am thankful and hopeful that one day, our roads will meet again and we can start all over.

I am blessed having beautiful, loving and God fearing people who has been a part of my lifetime...

And these are the treasures on earth that's worth keeping... 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...