Lechon Paksiw

While having lunch, a colleague suddenly threw a question:

Ano ung pagkain nyo nung time na mahirap kayo?
What do you eat during the lowest (poorest) time of your life? (tama ba?) 

At that moment, natigilan ako... napaisip and somehow yes, nagbalik ala ala yung darkest, saddest times of my family. 

One answered: mantika at asin sa kanin...  (cooking oil and salt mixed in rice) 

While another one is asin...  (salt) 

I wasn't able to respond. I just answered them with a smile as I remember what it was... 

One commented: Mayaman kasi to kaya wala siyang ganyang experience... 

I reacted and said of course not... we were also poor and went through down moments. 
However, I don't have memories of not having food at the table despite all the hardships that our family went through.

I remember seeing my mother mixing sugar on rice; maybe those were the times when we do not have enough; however she carried the burden alone and never allowed us to suffer. Her lame excuse was that she doesn't want the food...

Actually, mine wont fit on their answers because the first thing that came into my mind was Lechon Paksiw; its how they cook the left over Roast Pig (Lechon) which is expensive in the Philippines. 

We always have that because it's my aunt's business and she gave us free lechon almost every week... 

I have a very clear memory of having tantrums because I don't want to eat that anymore.

While the discussion continues, I was praying and thanking the Lord for not allowing us to reach that point, compared to my colleagues. I thank Him for the strength that He gave to my parents, who despite all the hardships that they went through, never make us feel miserable. 

They work hard to provide for our needs; they never lose hope.

God blessed us through our aunties and uncles also, who were there for us, helping us during those not so happy times... for our ditse for giving us Lechon. 

My heart is overflowing with gratefulness as I remember how God poured out His love towards my family. We had the worst time, but during those lowest times, we felt the love of God; those moments draw us closer to Him. 

Matthew 6:26
Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than they?

God is faithful. He  fulfill His promises; He never leave us nor forsake us.
He is the provider of all our needs... 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...